How to Ride The Rapid
Is fear of the unknown keeping you from riding The Rapid? Here's everything you need to know to ride as if you've been doing it all your life.
Find the route(s) and stops you need to make your trip—three easy ways:
- Use this web site to find your route(s) and stops.
- Call 456-7859 to receive next bus departure times and stop information via the ineractive voice response (IVR) automated passenger information system.
- Speak directly to a Rapid Information Center respresentive at 776-1100 for help.
- Get on the bus and ask your driver.
- Check your schedule to see when you should be at your bus stop. Get there a few minutes early. Be sure to plan in advance for weekend and holiday service.
- Relax. Enjoy the day. Don't stand too close to the curb. Our highly skilled drivers like to pull up close for your convenience.
- Some stops serve more than one bus route. So make sure you're getting on the right bus. The route name and number are displayed on the front and side of the bus.
- Get on the bus. Use the front door. The rear door is for people getting off the bus.
- Your driver is your friend. If you aren't sure whether you have the right bus—or about anything else—just ask. The Rapid drivers are the nicest people you can meet on a bus.
- Pay. Just put $1.50 in cash into the fare box. Don't have the right change? The machine will give you a change card you can use to help pay for your next ride.
- If you need to transfer to a second route, tell your driver as you pay your fare. You'll get a free transfer ticket good for a ride on any other route for the next two hours. Please note, student 10-ride farecards have a transfer time of one hour.
- Get more information on other convenient ways to pay—monthly passes, 10-ride tickets, qualifying for discounted fares and more.
- When you're a block or two away from your stop, pull the cord above your seat to signal the driver. (Otherwise he or she will cruise past the stop if no new passengers are waiting there.) If you aren't sure where your stop is, ask your driver for help when you board the bus.
You have arrived. Exit the bus at the rear and have a great day.
Buses do not run on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4th), Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Service runs as scheduled on all other holidays.