How to Ride The Rapid
Is fear of the unknown keeping you from riding The Rapid? Here's everything you need to know to ride as if you've been doing it all your life.
Find the route(s) and stops you need to make your trip—three easy ways:
- Use this web site to find your route(s) and stops.
- Call The Rapid at 776-1100 for help.
- Get on the bus and ask your driver.
- Check your schedule to see when you should be at your bus stop. Get there a few minutes early. Be sure to plan in advance for weekend and holiday service.
- Relax. Enjoy the day. Don't stand too close to the curb. Our highly skilled drivers like to pull up close for your convenience.
- Some stops serve more than one bus route. So make sure you're getting on the right bus. The route name and number are displayed on the front and side of the bus.
- Get on the bus. Use the front door. The rear door is for people getting off the bus.
- Your driver is your friend. If you aren't sure whether you have the right bus—or about anything else—just ask. The Rapid drivers are the nicest people you can meet on a bus.
- Pay. Just put $1.50 in cash into the fare box. Don't have the right change? The machine will give you a change card you can use to help pay for your next ride.
- If you need to transfer to a second route, tell your driver as you pay your fare. You'll get a free transfer ticket good for a ride on any other route for the next two hours. Please note, student 10-ride farecards have a transfer time of one hour.
- Get more information on other convenient ways to pay—monthly passes, 10-ride tickets, qualifying for discounted fares and more.
- When you're a block or two away from your stop, pull the cord above your seat to signal the driver. (Otherwise he or she will cruise past the stop if no new passengers are waiting there.) If you aren't sure where your stop is, ask your driver for help when you board the bus.
You have arrived. Exit the bus at the rear and have a great day.
Buses do not run on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4th), Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Service runs as scheduled on all other holidays.
Here's how to check to see if your item was turned in.
To request information on a lost item, go to the Contact Us page and select "Lost and Found" from the drop box menu to send an email with all the needed information. It is important to fill out all the fields completely so we can identify the correct item.
You can also call 616-776-1100 to check on a lost item during regular Information Center information hours.
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday 6:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. and on Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Please note thefollowing:
- The Rapid makes every attempt to recover and return lost items to their rightful owners.
- Food or other perishable items will not be kept.
- Arrangements need to be made in advance to claim bicycles as these are not held at Rapid Central Station.
- It may take up to 3 business days for your item to be available at Rapid Central Station.
- Lost items are held for 10 days. After 10 days, unclaimed items are donated or destroyed.