Beginning on Friday, July 26, 2019, the Grand Rapids Autonomous Vehicle Initiative (AVGR) is bringing four electric shuttles to the DASH West route. The six-seat shuttles are self-driving, however, they’ll always have a “driver” when they’re on our streets.
What is an autonomous vehicle?
- An autonomous vehicle is a vehicle that can navigate itself without human conduction.
- Autonomous vehicles are more commonly known as self-driving vehicles
Who is May Mobility?
- May Mobility is an Ann Arbor, Michigan – based company focusing on safe, reliable and accessible transportation services.
How much does a ride on one of these shuttles cost?
- These shuttles are free just like DASH!
What routing will these shuttles use?
- The shuttles will follow the existing DASH West route
When will these shuttles be running?
- Tuesday – Friday 7 am – 7 pm • Saturday – 10 am – 7 pm
Are these shuttles accessible?
- The May Mobility vehicles will eventually include a drop-down ramp and be wheelchair accessible. However, this is still in progress.
The goal of this initiative is to understand how autonomous vehicles work in a variety of weather conditions, as well as define accessibility standards for these types of vehicles.
Questions about this initiative? Contact Mobile GR at 616.456.3290 or su.yticrg@rgelibom.
Source: City of Grand Rapids